Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bievenidos a church

After our long night last night I slept so hard that I think I woke up in the same position as when I went to sleep. We got ready for church. I was not worried when we left the house late, then stopped to chat with the cab driver who will be delivering me to church this week, because in Honduras almost nothing happens on time. Even though we were late, we were some of the first people there. I think it started about a half hour late - nobody seems to worry about time here.

I was looking around at the familiar faces from last year when Jose said to me in Spanish, "Stand up!" and he stood up. But nobody else was standing. He said it again, so I finally listened to what was going on and they were introducing me and welcoming me to this country and to the church. They even welcomed me in the buletin, which was nice - my 15 minutes of fame. It was great to be back at church and to see the people we spent time with a year ago. One girl, Helga, was leaving for college a year ago. On our first full day in Honduras last year we went to her going away party. Today was her first day back at church after a successful year at college in Texas. She adjusted very well to college and won some art shows with her amazing paintings.

After church Jose, Karla and I went to a fancy Mongolian restaurant for lunch. It was beautiful. We sat outside on a patio which overlooked plush gardens. For some reason there was a huge pile of baby turtles around one specific plant. Some kids were playing with the turtles. I asked why the turtles were there and the little boy said simply "Because they like it!". DUH! Karla and I had fun taking pictures of me wearing a new shirt that my mom just gave me. Then I took pictures of Karla and Jose because they are a beautiful couple and so far none of my photos have shown this.

Now we are all at home. Once again Karla is studying. Jose and I are resting. Karla is a very busy woman! But she and Jose are a lot of fun too. The kids will come home next weekend. I have one more week to sleep late and have my own room. When they return they get up at 6:30 every morning and Karla's sister, Karina will be my roommate.

No comments: