Saturday, June 27, 2009

Quick Thought

My family has all gone their seperate ways today - Karla got called in to work, Karina took Valery and Dana Sophia with her to get her hair cut, and Jose is leading his youth group. There were some dishes in the sink so as I was washing them I was thinking about 2 things.

First, how in the world do they get these baby bottles clean? When I was cleaning my nephew, Jack´s bottles, we had special little gadgets to get inside the bottles and inside the nipples. We had baggies to sanitize things in the microwave, and we were particular about his food being organic. Here we don´t even have warm water.

I was also thinking about when I came the first time we had numerous team meetings to talk about what we could share with or teach the Honduran people. One of the things that we thought of was sanitation. Knowing what I´ve learned in this trip, I am so glad we didn´t do that. We didn´t realize that many of the people we would be speaking to would not have running water in their homes, never mind hot water. We didn´t know they wouldn´t have refridgerators, or even electricity. And we were going to ¨teach them¨ how to wash dishes in the ¨correct¨ way and how to store food in the ¨correct¨way. Which in this case meant in the way that is best for us, but impossible for them.

Anyway, I´ve been washing dishes with cold water for over three weeks now and I´m still alive!

No comments: