Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Soft Sheets, Hot Shower

Last night I fell asleep more easily than expected.  I realize today that problem solving in Spanish is twice as exhausting than if all of this had happened in my primary language.  But today I got a little giggle.  I called the front desk to ask for a toothbrush and comb.  When she started rattling off some reply in Spanish I asked her to speak in English please.  She seemed very surprised that I needed English.  So must be I'm pulling off the Spanish pretty well.  The hotel does have toothbrushes and combs.  My clothes, which I had washed in the sink, were dry.  The shower felt great.  Should have done that last night, but I was too tired to think straight.

My cousin, Carolyn, is in the Peace Corp in Guatemala.  This morning she was on Facebook, so I asked her to call Jairo and tell him my flight number and SUPPOSED arrival time in Teguc.  She called and gave him all of the information.  I told her, "Super. Thanks."  She said, "That's funny, that's exactly what he said when I gave him the info."  I told her must be I am acclimating well if I am already talking just like Jairo.  I wish she could come and visit me, see my apartment, meet my friends...  but the Peace Corp has a travel ban for certain areas right now, so she can't.  Maybe I could visit her sometime.

So Jairo has all of the info I can offer at this time.  I got a good nights' sleep and a shower.  Nothing to do now but wait for a shuttle to my plane, which should come in half an hour.

I must also add that my mother was very calm through all of this.  I am sure she would prefer me to be in Teguc with my friends, not alone in El Salvador.  But she seemed fine, which helps me feel better too.

I met an interesting man on the bus ride from the airport to the hotel last night.  He was from Belgium, but now lives in Nicaragua.  He said he has heard that Coapan is the most beautiful place in Central America, but he said Nicaragua is safest, least touristy, and has the nicest people.  I would like to see Coapan.  He said that about six years ago he worked on the water system in Tegucigalpa.  He said there were many problems with the water system, but the biggest was that gangs would not let the companies operate without paying them off, and the companies refused to pay.

This quote was at the top of my journal last night.  I liked it and thought it fitting:

"What we feel, think and do this moment influences both our present and the future in ways we may never know.  Begin.  Start right where you are.  Consider your possibilities and find inspiration...to add more meaning and zest to your life." - Alexandra Stoddard

No comments: