Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Adios platanos :(

Today is a sad day at my house.  I washed my clothes in my pila today.  The only way it is manageable to wash in the pila is by washing every few days.  Otherwise it is too overwhelming for a gringa.  Anyway, as I was washing in the yard, I noticed that my platano tree fell down!!!!  :(   I never realized how much shade that tree provided until today.  I no longer have the view of platanos outside my bedroom window.  The sun shines into my room now.  Boooo!  Fortunately, it's not hot outside today.  The wind, which I'm sure is the culprit of my downed tree, has been gusting since Saturday.



Lourdes was able to come to the breakfast program today.  We had oatmeal with shortbread for dipping and lots of watermelon.  This week over 50 kids have attended each day.



It was a relaxed day.  The kids had fun.  They are learning to trust me with their problems, like when a boy throws watermelon into a girl's oatmeal, or if someone "forgets" to wash their dishes.  They used to go to the older girls for help, but now they come to me which feels like good progress.

I still am enchanted by their prayer.  They are the most amazing pray-ers.   They pray for the coolest things!  Their prayer is very genuine.  Many of them start their prayer by thanking God for one more day of life.  I am still surprised when I hear a 7 or 8 year old begin their prayer in this way.  However, in Honduras life is never taken for granted.  The kids thank God for their classes (yes, you read that right) and the opportunity for education.  They thank God for helping them to concentrate as they study for exams.  They give thanks for the breakfast program, the food, the nutrients and the attention they receive here.  Their prayers can be heartbreaking as well.  Sometimes they pray their parents will stop hitting each other, that someone in their family will get a job so they can have food at home, for sleep because they have to help their family by getting up at 2 a.m. to help make tortillas for their mother to sell each day.  Prayer is something they take very seriously.  It is beautiful to see children worship God with such intention and intensity.


Sometimes prayer is hard work


Other times, prayer comes naturally

Yesterday two of the kids showed up at the breakfast program with cash in their hands, wanting to buy potato chips.  They were questioned extensively about where they got the money, since this was unusual.  They insisted they got it from their fathers.  However, we discovered today they are begging for money on the street .  At the breakfast program we give them food and clothes. We talk to them and discourage begging.  But sometimes it is encouraged by their parents.  Lourdes talked to them today.  It is still doubtful they will stop.

No comments: