Sunday, April 29, 2012

One Month in Honduras

Although I left the US on 3/27/12, I actually arrived in Honduras on 3/28/12.  Therefore, today I am celebrating one month of living in Honduras.  I'm not sure how I'll celebrate.  First with a walk around my neighborhood, I think.  It doesn't feel like I've been here very long, but I can definitely see the improvements in my language.  When I'm in a room full of people all speaking Spanish I no longer zone out.  I can understand almost all of the conversation.  Yesterday Lourdes' mother told Lourdes very sternly not to speak to me in English any more because I  must learn Spanish.  I do spend the majority of my day using only Spanish - with neighbors, at the store, with kids at the breakfast program, cooking in the kitchen with mothers at the breakfast program, going to prayer groups...  I feel  submersed, but not submerged.

When I imagined this trip, I never imagined such a beautiful and comfortable home.  I didn't realize how well my Spanish would serve me and was very worried about understanding the language.  In reality, I've only pulled out my Spanish dictionary ONE time and that was in the hotel in El Salvador, so maybe it doesn't count :)

No comments: