Friday, May 25, 2012

No lice. So far...

Walter came by to get me this morning so the Lourdes and Jairo could get a later start.  They have a big meeting tonight about marriage and will be at the church until about 10 pm.  Usually I attend these meetings, but I chose not to tonight.  Still, I had a pretty long day.

At the church Marlin had everything ready when I got there.  I went outside and played with the kids.  Her son, Misael, hopped on my lap and soon a few other kids gathered around.  One was Meylin, Marlin's daughter.  She was sitting by my feet and leaning into my lap.  She reached up and rubbed my belly, then said, "Que flaca!" (How skinny!) in a disgusted and surprised way.  I didn't know what to say because people here think much differently about size and weight than in the US.  Here people with a belly often are called "Gordo" which means fat.  It is never meant to be rude or hurtful.  I know 2 people who are well respected and have the nickname "Gordo".  It is simply different here.  We all started comparing tummies.  Misael stuck his hands under his shirt and pushed his shirt out so it appeared that he had a big belly.  We all laughed and said he is Gordo.  Then I told Meylin she is not Gorda or Flaca, she is perfect.  I try to tell her she is beautiful as often as possible because her hair does not grow in right.  It is very coarse and sparse.  As for now, she seems to be very comfortable with herself.

The kids continued to climb on me as their mother came over and sat with us.  She checked through Meylin's hair and pulled something out, then checked Misael and found something in his hair too.  She turned to me and said that last night she found (a word I didn't understand) in Meylin's hair.  I assume they both have lice.  Most of the kids in Los Pinos have lice.  Most of their houses have dirt floors so it is impossible to get rid of the lice.  I used to purposely wear my hair up for that reason, but that habit disappeared somehow.  However, for the rest of  today I kept my hair up and braided.  Misael spent most of Tuesday with his head on my shoulder, sound asleep.  I wonder how you get lice out of sheets if you don't have a washer or dryer.  I may find out.

Lourdes arrived for the second group of kids.  Lourdes has been feeling great this week!  I asked about Leonor, who was in a car accident last night.  Leonor is fine, but she spent much of the night in jail!  By the time Jairo got to her, there were already 10 church members at the site of the accident.  Leonor had been turning left onto her street when a motorcycle passed on the left.  That is how the accident happened.  Even though he was driving carelessly, the law is on his side and she will have to pay all of the costs of the accident.  She is fine.  She only has a dent in her car.  Lourdes, Jairo and the kids waited for her to get out of jail until 1 a.m.  Her husband is out of the country, so he is beside himself with worry, but the family is surrounded by many, many church members.  Today everyone is happy that nobody died.  The motorcyclist hurt his arm.  He is a neighbor, and was calm about the whole thing, so everything is okay in the end.

I told Jairo about the emails I sent yesterday for fundraising.  I was excited to tell him I only need $400!  He gave me a hug and said calmly, "You will have more than that."  So far he has never been wrong!

We fed the second  group of kids, cleaned up the church and then I spent two hours talking with Jairo.  Conversations with Lourdes and Jairo (and also Marlin) are special blessings.  He started by telling me that he got some important information he wanted to share with me.  I can't write about the details here, because this is open to the public, but he has information about political things that are happening.  He said you can smell and feel the danger in the air.  (I cannot smell or feel the danger.)

I told him I will prepare by stocking my home with extra water and food that doesn't need electricity to cook.  He reminded me to have candles (which I have, but need more) and matches.  He said I will be fine at my house and if not, he will move me to his home.  He emphasized that he knows how to move about in this city.  I assured him that I will not be moving anywhere without him.  I asked him if I should stop jogging.  He suggested a different route, avoiding the park, but said I can still run.  He asked me to tell my church in the states that nobody is allowed to visit now.  He said he can keep me safe, but he does not want anyone else here.

Then we talked about dreams, the holy spirit, speaking in tongues, relationships and surrendering our lives to God.  During our conversation Jairo received a call that he will be meeting with the President next week.  He is choosing to bring Walter and Ethel, the leader of the church elders, with him.  Two hours passed quickly and we both were shocked that it was already 3 pm and we were just finishing lunch.

When I found Lourdes she was trying to catch up on the over 400 emails she has unopened in her Inbox.  We read over some of them, then she asked me to write a story describing Bismar to raise money for his education at the private Christian school.  I can do it this weekend.

Before we knew it, another hour had passed and she needed to make food for the meeting tonight.  Jairo asked Lourdes to make her special rice tonight.  I've watched them make it so I was able to do everything except the portioning.  I felt proud.  Once the rice was cooking we sat down and ate baguettes and mantequilla.  Yumm!  I headed home after a full week with a full belly.  No, I am not too flaca!  I am happy and healthy :)

Tonight I will relax, read some more of my book and enjoy the sound of light rain falling outside.  It sounds so sweet when it's falling gently on the palms of the platano tree.  Happy Friday folks!

No comments: