Sunday, November 11, 2012

Conversations

Many times when something interesting or new happens, I think to myself "I have to remember to share this in my blog tonight."  Usually I forget.  But here are two things I remember from today:

When I was in the US, people teased me about my Spanish, saying that I spoke Spanish with a strong English accent.  One of the men from the church here always compliments me on my Spanish.  He seems very genuine and always says he loves my accent.  I find that hard to believe, after being teased all those years.  Tonight we had a conversation about it.  He asked how I learned Spanish with such a great accent.  Jose, Karla and I laughed because I always tell people that I learned my Spanish from Karla - the fastest speaker in the world.  When we told Alexis that I got my accent from Karla he said that made sense because we both express ourselves the same way.  We both are expressive and use a lot of emphasis when we speak.

Later, he was telling Lourdes about great my accent.  He said my accent was "bonito" (nice/pretty) but I misheard him and thought he said "unico" (unique).  I laughed and said, "Unique that's one word for it!"

I guess it's not as funny now but it seemed really funny then.

On the way home from the birthday party I rode with Karla and Jose.  Their daughter, Dana Sophia, complained she was hungry.  They asked why she didn't eat at the party since there was a bounty of food.  She said she didn't like any of the food.  (Really she had filled up on chips.)  It was funny, and sad, listening to their conversation.  I was raised being told that I should finish my dinner because there were starving children in China.  Then the next generation was told about starving children in Africa.  In Honduras it is different.

Karla asked Dana if Dana remembered the boy outside the grocery store who was eating cabbage.  Karla explained that the boy was eating leaves of cabbage because he has no food.  Karla asked Dana if Dana believed that the boy likes to eat raw cabbage.  Karla told Dana that she has the opportunity to eat plenty of good food, and if she chooses not to then she cannot complain because there are children at the grocery store who are starving and have no food.

China was abstract to me.  It was hard to comprehend.  I'm sure Africa was intangible to the next generation.  But in Honduras, for Dana Sophia, she sees starving kids when she goes to the grocery store.  Wow.  Life is different here.

No comments: