Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Things Are Falling Into Place

Yesterday was a big day.  I learned that the church has officially given their permission for Jairo and Lourdes to go to the US for a one year sabbatical.  Lourdes and Jairo have been hoping and praying for this for a long time.  Lately things have been falling into place quickly and in strange ways, as only God can do.  Joss and Aaron were very excited about the idea of moving, but now that it appears to be coming to fruition they are not as thrilled.  They both have very full lives in Honduras.  It will be hard for them to go.

Jairo gave a really great message yesterday.  He called all of the jovenes (13-29) to the front of the church.  At times he addressed them individually.  He talked to them about their strengths and the challenges they face.  It was very empowering for them.  Everyone loved it.

After church we went out for liquados which are kind of like milkshakes.  Mine was strawberry, vanilla, milk and sugar.  We sat and talked for a while.  Lourdes asked us to pray for her family.  Really there is nothing concrete in place.  At this point it is all ideas and following God's lead.  They are hoping to be in the US for the start of the next school year, God willing.

Some people have asked if this will change my plans.  I have talked to Jairo.  He said I can be safe here as long as I stick to the same schedule we have kept for the past year.  As long as I just go to the church and back. He said I cannot go into El Centro (downtown) by myself.  But I wouldn't want to go there my myself anyway.  I talked to Lourdes and she said I still have a lot to do here.  I have some more personal growth and she needs me at the Breakfast Program.  I don't have the slightest feeling that I am supposed to leave.  I feel like I am supposed to be here.  So I will stay.

Today I got more big news.  My friend Marlin is pregnant.  Customs regarding pregnancy are very different here than in the US.  Marlin went to the doctor this morning, then came to the church to work.  We knew she had been at the hospital with an upset stomach so we were praying for her.  When she arrived I went over to ask how she was doing.  She said her health was good.  It was a different thing.  I immediately knew she was going to tell me she was pregnant.  She burst into tears.  I took her into my classroom and called to Lourdes.  I was so afraid to say the wrong thing.
-
Marlin has Lupus.  She has been getting stronger and stronger over the past year.  In December the doctor cut her meds in half because she is doing so well.  Her doctor said she will stay on her meds during the pregnancy.  Lourdes and I were excited for Marlin, but she is very, very scared and sad.  The pregnancy was not planned.  She was taking appropriate precautions to avoid pregnancy because the doctor told her she could die if she became pregnant.  I didn't understand that until I heard from my Mom the dangers of pregnancy and Lupus.  Now I understand why Marlin is scared.  But I have a good feeling about this and I think all I can do is listen to her fears and reassure her that everything will be fine.  I don't know what else to do.

On a much lighter note, I bought a broom for outside today.  In Honduras people wash buses constantly and clean outside of their house all of the time too.  When I lived down in the city I borrowed Fany's broom.  Here I need to clean my front steps, my laundry space, and my balcony, which are all covered in pine needles and yellowish/green pollen.  I felt like a real Honduran today with my new broom.  Walter asked me if I was flying it home.  Erik asked me how long I have lived in Honduras without a broom.  I explained I have a broom to clean inside.  He seemed very relieved to hear that.  He must have been imagining me with a filthy home.

Another way I am feeling more at home is that the kids all greet me by name now.  Lourdes has taught them to greet her each day when they come into the church.  They have to pass by the kitchen and say good morning when they arrive.  In the past I was part of "los de la cocina" (the people in the kitchen).  Lately almost all of them say hello and good bye to me by name.  They also make a point to give me a hug.  That used to be reserved only for Lourdes, so I feel very honored and loved.

I also noticed that when we leave the church I recognize kids and adults in the streets almost every day.  That is a really nice.  It's been almost a year now.  I am feeling more and more at home.

Tomorrow I have a women's bible study group.  Later this week I am going out to lunch with my friend Raquel.  Things are falling into place.

No comments: