Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Blind Man

This morning as Jairo and I drove down the mountain from El Hatillo all of the traffic suddenly stopped.  I was peering out ahead trying to figure out what was going on.  Jairo said, "Uh oh."  Then I saw a long stick fly really high into the air.  I had no idea what was going on and why all of the traffic was stopped until I saw a man on his hands and knees in the street.  He was crawling around, not getting out of the way of all the cars.

Then Jairo said it was a blind man.  That made more sense.  He crawled from side to side.  As we got closer I could see he was groping with his hands, searching from side to side for the stick.  I asked why nobody was helping.  I wanted to get out and give the man his stick.  Jairo said he sees the man frequently.  He said the man is mentally ill, but he appears to be more violent today.  He appeared to be in his 50's.  I felt like we should do something, but a police officer got the stick.  All we could do is pray.  It was sad.

No comments: