Thursday, July 25, 2013

So long self

Remember a long time ago when Lourdes sat down with me and talked to me about the things I needed to work on?  I was able to thank her yesterday.  She told me she could see big changes in me!  At the time I thanked her for having the courage, love and desire to challenge me to change myself.  She told me that I was so busy protecting myself and building walls that I was limiting myself to only shallow, safe relationships where I was never vulnerable.  She challenged me to give people a chance.  I remember feeling terrified about the idea of opening myself up to people.  The idea was so scary I cried.

But look at me now!  I am so grateful for her feedback.  I am grateful that I was able to hear it in the way she and God intended it for me.  I am grateful that instead of criticism, I was able to hear and see the love that Lourdes was sharing with me.  She was genuinely concerned and wanted a better life for me.

I will miss the Sarmientos when they move to the US.  But because Lourdes confronted me about areas where I needed to grow, I will not be as alone as I might have been.  I will always have their support and now that God has helped me open my heart to friends, I will have the support of many others.

At the same time that I am thankful to Lourdes, I am also thankful to each friend who stuck by my side while I was learning about friendship.  I am extremely grateful to God.  While I did put forth effort to change in the ways Lourdes suggested, I know only He can make the changes that occurred in my heart.  I pray that I will continue to grow in my love for others, continue to keep my heart open and vulnerable, and continue to listen and learn when others speak to me in truth and love.


1 comment:

Charlie said...

Quite liberating! Congratulations, friend.