Friday, August 23, 2013

Meeting with Jairo

We practiced for Lourdes's going away party today.  It was kind of rocky, but nobody expects perfection from 4 year olds and the kids had fun.  I don't know how many kids we fed today, but it was a lot.  There were more than yesterday.  We ran out of bread.  I'm thinking maybe 105?

Jairo asked me to meet with him before he leaves.  I walked into his office and for the first time it hit me that he will not be here any more.  His walls are bare, his photos are gone, and all that was left were some papers he is leaving for Walter.  I felt sad.  But I know this is best.

We talked first about my safety after he leaves.  Jairo said there are 4 people who will I will go to after he leaves.  Ethel - head of the elders, Carlos - my landlord and also an elder, Samuel Matute - an elder and person who has been really helpful to me, and Belinda since she is my immediate supervisor.

When I first moved to Honduras a year and 1/2 ago Jairo used to tell me that things were bad, but that he had lived through worse in the 80's.  Today Jairo told me that things are as bad as they were in the 80's.  I can't say anything specific, but yesterday someone left the country because the person was about to be kidnapped and held for $2 million.

Jairo said that I should not worry, but I need to be aware and careful, especially around the elections.  He said some people think the Libre party may win the election.  They are killing all of their opponents.  If the Libre party does not win, they have promised to contest the outcome.  Jairo believes it will be a civil war.  He said there is no reason to believe that I will not be safe here.  He said I need to buy a lantern.  I'll need to be sure that I have water and food on hand as the elections approach.  And candles and matches.  When I was here in 2009 the president was pulled out of his bed and taken out of the country because he was not following the constitution.  They immediately turned off the electricity and water.  The lines at the gas station were huge, so I'll have to keep my tank full.  Seems that God gave me that experience for a reason - so I can be more prepared for November and what may happen then.  I should buy a gas stove before the elections.  But I am feeling broke with car maintenance.  Next month I have to pay for annual car registration.   :(  Need to pray for lots of financial blessings!

I will have another meeting with Jairo that will include Belinda and Walter because we need to work as a very tight team after Jairo leaves.  I think we are very capable of being an excellent team.  Both of them are gifted at the roles they have been given.  I hope we live up to our potential.  That is something I need to pray about - you could join me.  I also wrote a letter today that I need to translate to Spanish.  It is for Ethel, head of the elders, thanking her for allowing me to serve here.  I offered to serve in new ways as we go through this transition and the Sarmientos leave, if she would like me to.

Check back tomorrow for lots of photos of Lourdes's going away party!

No comments: