Friday, September 27, 2013

Nesting

Those of you who have been to any of the places I lived in the US (or any of my campsites at Telluride) know that I am a nester.  When I had a desk job my office was even cozy.  But for some strange reason I have never nested in this house.  I have lived here for more than nine months.  Usually I am nested within a few weeks.  It's a beautiful home.  But for some reason I could not make it my own.

Last week Jetty knocked over my "night stand" (4 cardboard boxes labeled "FOOD FOR RELIEF" covered by a fleece blanket).  I came home to find the lamp that has been the basis of all of my decorative schemes was smashed to pieces.  My night time bite plate was also broken, as was a candle.

I've been trying to catch up with reading for my women's book club at the church, but with no night lamp I haven't been reading as much as I should.  SO today after the Breakfast Program Plentiful Life Program I headed out to a place Marcela recommended to buy a lamp.  I stopped at one place along the way and found nothing.  (Funny side note:  The store is pronounced K Mart but spelled Key Mart.  Hahaha.)  Key Mart's prices were high and all of the night lamps UGLY!

 Then I went to the place Marcela recommended.  It was great!  It had Rite Aid and Walmart brand stuff.  There was a huge selection and I found the lamp of my dreams as soon as I walked in the door.  Plus bungi cords, light bulbs, and Downy fabric softener.  I also got a mug for the desk at my office at the church.  I've been searching and searching for things to make the office more my own and hadn't made much progress in that area either.

I searched for real night stands, but they were over $50.  It seemed like too much.  Even the street vendors who make wooden furniture were asking more than I expected.  I am sticking to the cardboard boxes for now.

I came home and hung up all of the things I set aside nine months ago and never found a place for.  Then I put up my new lamp.  There was a brief moment when the lamp didn't work.  But I figured that out.  I re-arranged my curtains so more light comes into the kitchen and the storage space under my sink is covered better.

Can't wait to have guests!  Don't know why I wasn't ready to nest before.  It sure does feel cozy now.

Little Carlos and Junior both showed up at the Plentiful Life Program today.  We didn't have class because Belinda was gone so I had to watch all of the kids.  But they did sit calmly and eat.  That is already progress.

Looking forward to waking up tomorrow in my newly redecorated home!

No comments: