Sunday, September 8, 2013

Weekend Update

The past 24 hours has been a blur.  Not sure why exactly.  I went back down to Karla and Jose's house to spend the night as we had originally planned more than a week ago.  We went to the mall to see if the banks were still selling tickets for the soccer game, but it was sold out so we had to go to the scalpers outside the stadium.  Since Honduras won Friday everyone wants to go to the game Tuesday.

Then we stopped at the church.  Jose had to oversee the youth group and Karla had to meet with the elders.  I observed the Ester Project.  My friend Raquel runs it.  She is due to have her first baby in November and she needs some help.  I don't know if I am the right person for the job.  There are still a lot of words that I am not familiar with when it comes to bible language in Spanish.  Some bible language in English is a little strange, so imagine teaching it in a different language.  The Ester Project is awesome though.  It is for girls who are 11-14ish.  It teaches values and how to live as a Christian.  I love the girls who are in the program.  They would be patient with my Spanish if I did help lead it.  But I think there could be someone that would do a better job right now.  It is something that I aspire to be a part of when I learn more "Bible Spanish".

I should learn more biblical terms quickly because I am joining 3 different groups.  One is a discipleship that I have to do before I am allowed to join a small group.  The second is a book club.  We are reading 12 Extraordinary Women and the men of the church are reading 12 Ordinary Men.  Also, starting in 2 weeks I will join a bible study.  Actually it is a formal class that my landlord Hermida has been going to for 6 months.  She and Jairo both thought it would be great for me.  I definitely agree, especially after sitting in with the girls of the Ester Project.  All of these things should help me become more fluent in my biblical Spanish.

After dinner last night Karla, Jose and I watched a movie.  Part way through I noticed Karla had fallen asleep.  Then I started falling asleep too so I told Jose I was going to bed.  We never finished the movie.  It was only 10:30.  This morning the girls were awake early.  I heard them doing the Zumba workout for the 3rd time in 2 days.  One of them passed by my door and I said good morning.  The next thing I knew my bed was covered in stuffed animals, bears to be specific.  Dana, Valery and I played until we were late for church.  Karla got a chance to sleep in and Jose got to read his 12 Ordinary Men.

At church they announced that my pastor from the US is coming to visit this week and will preach next weekend.  I am sooooo excited!  Afterward I was talking to a man who is known to have the gift of prophecy.  I told him I am excited to see how all of this is unfolding between the two churches, that my church in the US wants to support us in any way they can and that I think it will be a great visit.  He stopped me and said, "This is going to be a big blessing for you."  I told him it is a blessing for the whole church!  He took my arm to get my attention and said, "No.  Listen.  This is going to be a big blessing for you.  Take it."  I didn't really know what to say to that, so I said thank you for telling me.  He said again, "It is going to be a big blessing for you.  Take it.  Take it."  I said okay and thanked him again.  Then he said, "You are blessing others so you are going to be blessed in a big way.  Take it."  I think he even said it more times, but you get the point.  I don't know what exactly it means, but we'll see!  God often speaks to him.  In fact I am pretty sure God told him that the Sarmientos would leave and now...

Everyone at church liked my Carlos Costly picture on Facebook.  I told them I am going to the game Tuesday.  They love that I am enjoying their culture so much.

After church we learned that the tire on Karla and Jose's car which popped yesterday was stripped by the kids who tried to help Karla change her flat.  Jose and a mechanic spent hours today trying to get the tire off.  They are going to have to cut it off and Jose has to ask his job for a pay advance because he can't afford the whole tire.  They are not sure when they will be able to pay to get the car fixed.  Ugh.  It is tough to work full time, raise 2 kids (one with special needs), go to school full time, and deal with extra crap like that.  I am going to help them as much as I can with rides but we live almost an hour from each other and don't have similar schedules at all.

Jose and Dana took me to buy an official Honduras soccer jersey this afternoon.  I got a free Honduras umbrella with it!  I am excited to wear my new jersey to the game, but I realized that I bought the shirt that is for away games.  :(  Jose said it doesn't matter.

I finally got a full length mirror for my house.  I've been getting a little bigger than I like to be over the past couple weeks.  I think it was all of the going away parties for Lourdes and Jairo.  Even my big pants are starting to get tight, so I figured a mirror might help.  Although my Honduran friends think it's great, I am not comfortable.  I am going to start doing the Insanity Workout after my pastor from the US visits.  We are going to have some long days when he is here, so I don't want to start now and then not stick with it.  Yesterday Dana Sofia (Karla and Jose's 6 year old) and I did Zumba.  I got a good idea of just how out of shape I have become.

When I got home tonight Carlos, my landlord, was still fixing my washing machine.  He started yesterday after the guy who was supposed to come didn't show up.  I felt bad that he was still working on it tonight.  He seemed okay with it.  I think he is almost as excited as I am about my pastor from K2 coming to visit.  Carlos is going to accompany us on Friday and Saturday.  He took a day off from work as soon as I told him that Lad was visiting!  Carlos is the vice president of the elders and a great guy, so I am glad that he will get a chance to spend time with Lad.

Lice update:  I feel like I still have a few.  I am not as itchy as I was, and nothing comes out when I comb my hair with the special comb, but I still have some itches that don't feel normal.  We'll see tomorrow when I get my next check up from the ladies at the Breakfast Program.

No comments: