Saturday, September 27, 2014

Do you speak English?

At the gym yesterday someone asked if I am French.  That's one I haven't heard before.  I think it's because he heard me grumbling when the trainer told me to do two more repetitions and I thought I was done.  Grumbling can sound like a French accent in Spanish.

Anyway, my Spanish is still not perfect which is why I loved the following conversation so much.

Samuel (4 years old) comes up to me with a shocked/perplexed/this can't be true look on his face and asks, "You speak English?!?"

Confused and wondering how I've spent almost every day for over a year with this kid and he doesn't know my mother tongue is not Spanish I hesitantly say, "Yes."

"No you don't."

"Yes, I do."

"No, " shaking his head adamantly.

"Yes.  That's why my Spanish sounds different than yours."

"It's not different."

"Yes Samuel.  My Spanish sounds different from yours."

"Not to me."

"I love you Samuel."

He hugs me, "I love you too."  And runs off to play.

Samuel

No comments: