Thursday, November 6, 2014

Time to Revive!

I am strange.  I have been this way for as long as I can remember.  One of the strange things about me is that when something special - a vacation, a party, whatever event it might be - is about to happen I get really excited ahead of time.  Then on the day of the event, I don't want to go.

Weird, right?  It makes no sense.  But it happens every time, without fail.  I have been like this for as long as I can remember.  Second grade birthday party for my friend who lived up the street.  Excited for days.  But when it came time to walk over to her house I cried and screamed and didn't want to go.  If I remember correctly my Mom had to either drag me or drive me four houses down the street.  I cried the whole way.  For a birthday party!

Ski races.  Ahead of time I couldn't wait.  The day of the race, didn't want to get out of bed.  Maybe it was because it was freezing cold and 4 a.m,. but there is a pattern here.

Almost every single vacation I have ever been on.  I don't sleep the night before.  Then when it comes time to get out of bed in the morning  I think, "It would be so much easier to just stay at home."

I'm crazy, right?

As I was preparing for a four day retreat, which I am really psyched about and desperately need, I assumed the same would happen.  Last night I got all of my stuff packed and went over the last minute details.  It thought to myself, "You know how you are.  Tomorrow you are probably going to sleep, or at least feign sleep until it is so late that all you can do is race out the door without a shower, dreading the idea of leaving the cat and thinking of a million other things you would rather do this weekend."

Well, for the first time in my life I was wrong!  (Okay, I have been wrong before.   But this time I was wrong about not wanting to go to my long awaited event.)

This morning I woke up at 6 a.m., cleaned the litter box, took out the garbage, packed some last minute stuff and gave Jetty some extra hugs.  I am super psyched to go to the retreat.  I wish I could go right NOW!  But I have to wait until noon.

I am imagining how excited the team who is serving us feels.  They came from the US just to rejuvenate us.  The name of the retreat is "Revive" and let me tell you, I need some revival right now.

So, I will hop in the shower and throw more last minute items into my suitcase, kiss the cat good bye and pray this morning goes by quickly.  I can't wait to be on the road to my weekend retreat!

No comments: