Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Group Therapy and Home Visits

Today was my definition of a perfect day. It was challenging, fun and I got to experience new things.

This morning security picked me up at the corner. The guy who usually opens the door wasn't there and my co-workers had their hands full, so the door of the car didn't open as usual. All of the windows are tinted so dark that you can't see anyone inside. But I had just talked to a co-worker who said they were close and some guy who was standing near me had been staring at me for 10 minutes straight, so when the car pulled up I opened the door myself and jumped in. I was scolded by my co-workers because I didn't wait for them to open the door. Anyone could have been inside. I could have been kidnapped, they said. They were right, but I was just happy to get away from the guy who was staring.

We went to a co-worker's house. As I've said before, I am the only one who doesn't live in the communities we serve. My co-workers open up their homes for group therapy and other meetings for the youth.

There were 15 kids at the morning group therapy. In the future we are going to divide them into two groups so they will get more out of it. This week they were a little rowdy and three were absent. We expect a bigger group next week.

An intern who is studying psychology at the University lead a session about how to deal with anger. One of the psychologists was there too. In two hours we got so much done! We sang songs, did deep breathing exercises, made a book, and discussed different ways to react to situations that provoke anger. The kids didn't want to leave at the end so they all sat outside and looked at this view:




After group therapy we did home visits. We hiked all over visiting families. The first two visits were a little discouraging. Both homes had boys that were about to finish 6th grade. The moms said the boys will not continue with schooling. One boy is 13. He said he doesn't want to go to school anymore. And his mother just stood there. She didn't try to convince him or anything. The other mother said school is too far and too expensive, so she can only send one of her older kids. That means the other is dropping out of school after he finishes 6th grade in a few weeks.

We did our best to encourage the kids to stay in school, but the kids and their mothers were a tough sell. I don't think we convinced them. They each have an appointment with the psychologists. I hope they attend and are receptive to the therapist's advice.

In the next two homes the 13 year old girls were trying to go out with 19 year old boys. I was happily surprised by the ways the mothers handled the situation. One took away her daughter's phone and walked her to and from school every day. The situation is now resolved, but the girl still doesn't have a phone. The boy eventually gave up because with the Mom around, he never had access to see the girl.

The second girl's mother went to the boy's house and talked to his mother. She said she knew talking to him wouldn't do any good, but she told his mother she would have him arrested if he laid a finger on her daughter. She also went to the school and talked to the teacher. She said she was "on top of" her daughter 24 hours/day. Good parenting ladies! Very impressive.

We tried to visit another home. We jumped across a creek, then climbed a steep, slippery, tiny goat trail of a path to find nobody was there. So we decided to pass by the school where we were told that the boy has barely attends. The teacher said his seat is almost always empty. She said he has been held back so many times he is now bigger than all of the other kids in 5th grade. When he does show up he is hyper and physically aggressive toward his classmates. His mother refuses to come to conferences. He has an appointment to see the therapist next week. The therapist believes he will show up. I hope so!

After lunch we had a second group therapy. This group was only seven kids. They were so cute and attentive. They participated really well and seemed to enjoy the group. They all said they will be back and will bring friends next week.

It feels awesome to be serving in this way. At the end of the day I offered some ideas for next week. The therapists were excited to implement my suggestions.

I was invited to help with group therapy from now on, which I am super excited about. I love being out in the community, serving in ways that I can make a difference. Many of the families know me now. It is nice to be greeted with a big, welcoming hug. The people are extremely kind and friendly.

Almost every home served us a cup of Coca Cola. I have never had so much soda in my life. But you can't say no. It would be rude. One family said they don't have the 50 Lempiras to send two kids to school next year. But they spent 25 Lempiras on a bottle of soda for us. I hate knowing I am consuming what these people were probably going to spend on food for dinner.

As I crossed the bridge on my way home tonight the most awesome feeling came over me. I am finally living up to who I was meant to be. I felt very complete. I am realizing my full potential. I have the experience and knowledge to serve well in this area.

God has given me my dream job - serving in a beautiful place, with fun, hard working co-workers who strive for excellence, helping sweet but horribly disadvantaged people.


When you are angry or frustrated. how should you react?
Situation - thoughts - reactions

No comments: