Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Chikungunya Update

As soon as I finished the previous post I realized that I haven't given you a Chikungunya update in a while.

I try not to talk about it too much. My friends who have it don't say anything. I don't want to be a whiner but it still hurts a little almost every day.

While I was in NY I had my first two pain free days. That was pretty awesome. I was excited to know that I could have days without pain. That was at the eleven week point.

Since then the pain has continued to lessen. I don't have many days that are completely pain free, but the pain is much more tolerable. It's usually more of an annoyance and does not keep me from my regular activities anymore.

I don't have the constant aching in my knuckles anymore. The worst pain is most focused on my spine right between my shoulders (where it can feel like a burning knife) and my neck. Looking to the left or upward can be painful. Some days I have sharp pains in my ankles, toes and knees. Occasionally it's still in my elbows and right shoulder. But those days are fewer.

I still feel weak and wobbly walking downhill. My knees ache on the way home from the literacy class. Climbing up out of the valley is fine but going back down the front side of the mountain after teaching the class is always a gentle reminder that I am not the same as I used to be.

Right now I am grateful to feel better. I'm doing more each week. If I am like everyone else, I will have a flare up at the eleven month point (April) which will keep me in bed for about a week.

Thank you to those who kept me and my health in your prayers. Chikungunya is almost as difficult to handle emotionally as it is physically. There are so many ups and downs. I have never been this mad at God before. But I also realize it could be worse. God and I are now on the mend.

No comments: