Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Today

I wished today that you all spoke Spanish. I would have video taped the Familia Fuerte class where the parents spoke about the challenges of raising their kids in this environment. I especially wished I could tape a conversation with a lady who makes all of the snacks for our clubs and classes. She is a super sweet lady, but she has a tough side too. She runs her own club as a volunteer within our program, but makes a little money preparing snacks for the five clubs in Nueva Suyapa as well as for our special classes, like Familia Fuerte.

She walks down the mountain carrying all of the food all prepared. Somehow, it is always hot, even though she arrives early. They call it a snack, but today's "snack" was two enchiladas and a fruit juice. For me it's a dinner. That's kind of the goal - to give the kids a good meal.

Today I commented to the snack lady... (You may notice, I never mention my coworkers by name here. It's not for lack of respect. It's for safety reasons.) Today I commented to the snack lady that another coworker is really stressed out. The snack lady said, "Mary Lynn, we are all under a lot of stress. I am going to tell you why. These are things that I normally would never say out loud. In fact, I haven't said them out loud before, because it is our custom to be quiet and not say a word. Even within my house we don't speak of these things because everything has ears."

She said, "If someone knocks on the door, we never answer. In fact, we all remain silent and don't move. We don't dare answer the door to anyone these days. All of my neighbors are the same. All of the doors are shut - where they used to leave doors and windows open for the breeze to pass through - now everything is closed. Even the pulperias (corner stores) close before 8 p.m. because there is nobody on the streets. It is not safe to leave your house."

(My other coworker told me that the only time he was held up, other than last week with me, was when he was inside his gated porch. He looked up and someone had a gun aimed at him. They told him to open the door. Then they came in and stole everything they could carry. Apparently this is common and has been for a while.)

Since Friday the snack lady has seen three children shot and killed. Kids she has known since they were in diapers are now dead. She saw the two boys I spoke of in my blog yesterday, ages 15 and 17 killed. They were neighbors to her and another coworker who was shaken up and told me about it Monday morning. She admitted the 17 year old is a "cold-hearted thief". She said he robbed people with a knife and would kill them if they didn't comply. But his younger brother is a member of her church and was on the right path in life. She said the gangs are killing needlessly. She also saw a boy shot to death as his sister begged for his life on Friday. She said everyone is extremely on edge.

I asked if she has ever seen violence like this before. She said it has never been as bad as it's been in the past few months. She said it's more violent, more frequent and more senseless.

Then she asked if I heard what happened here (in the place where we hold the club and Familia Fuerte) on Friday. I said, No, I was here on Friday. (I forgot until right this second that I was actually there on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, but not on Friday.)

She said she walked outside the door of the club and turned right. Two of my coworkers were behind her a few steps. They walked out and exited to the left. She was face to face with a young man who lifted up his shirt to show that he had several big firearms tucked into his waistband. She yelled back at my coworkers that they had left something in the building. They were able to duck inside. Three more young men came and joined their armed friend. She was able to talk what I would call "street jive" to them and they ended up telling her, "Mother, just go."

Gang members use the word mother to address older women whom they respect. I've heard it before when we climb up to literacy class. They talk to my other coworker that way.

In the end she was safe, and so was everyone else, but she was shaken. She said she has never felt this stressed out in her life. She has never been so afraid to walk the streets.

She was doing home visits for the kids of her club. It is mandatory that we see the kids in their home once each month. She was crossing a bridge when she recognized five of the eight young men who killed the 15 and 17 year old brothers. She said her heart stopped, but she had to act as though she didn't know them. She greeted them as she passed, and kept walking. Then she had to walk past them again to leave. She said her heart was about to explode out of her chest, she was so scared. She asked permission to pass by them because they were on a bridge. They gave her permission and she walked through. She said people know who the five boys are. They are from Los Pinos.

Then her whole demeanor changed. She said there were only five of the eight killers because a police man on a motorcycle saw the shooting of the two brothers. He called in reinforcements and they captured three of the eight killers within an hour. That fact made her very happy, even exited. It's huge progress. In the past over 90% of homicides went unsolved in Honduras, especially in areas like where we serve. Even though five of them are still on the streets, she sees progress and is clearly hopeful.

As I left the club today two coworkers accompanied me the five steps until I was in the hands of the policeman who was standing at the car, holding the door open. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back now, I see what they were doing. They didn't know that the snack lady told me all they have been through in the past few days. I've noticed they always keep the worst things secret from me. Sometimes something will slip and I know that I wasn't supposed to be told. They always make a special point to watch over me as much as possible. I hate to be an extra burden to them. They clearly have enough stress in their lives already. (I am the only one who doesn't live within that community.)

Our transportation has tightened up even more. They now arrive early instead of at the scheduled time because nobody is supposed to wait for transportation. Today they were 15 minutes early. They are also quicker to jump out and open the door for us. I don't mind opening my own door. I feel silly having a police officer open a door for me. But I am starting to understand why it is necessary.

On the way home I was talking to the officer about the young man with the guns in front of the club on Friday. He was frustrated that nobody had told him. He said as long as nobody speaks about these things the police can't do anything. But he also understands that people are scared to talk. I hope I don't get anyone into trouble by the words I write here, or by talking to the policeman today.

I talked to him about the group of missionaries in Los Pinos this week. He asked if they have good contacts there and body guards. I said I don't know, but I hope so. He said he certainly hopes so too because by their third day (tomorrow), they are going to be in bigger danger there. Everyone will know they are there, the times they come and go, and they will have a plan set for how to rob them.

To clarify, these people are not serving at the church where I used to serve. They are actually inside of Los Pinos at a carepoint which makes it much more dangerous for them if they are not accompanied by the right people. Or even if they are... I am praying for them.

Please keep my coworkers and me and the people of Honduras in your prayers. Part of me hates to share stuff like this. I know it's not fun to read. But I think it's necessary. We need your coverage in prayer.

No comments: