Saturday, October 12, 2013

Flat tire, dead battery, BABY GIRL!

This morning Erick, a boy from La Tigra who is always helpful and sweet, called to ask a favor.  I was surprised when the phone rang again in the afternoon and it was Erick again.  He got a flat tire up in La Tigra and walked toward my house until he got cell reception.  Then he called to ask if I could take him to get the flat fixed.

Along the way we picked up two more kids from La Tigra who were headed for the church talent show.  They were supposed to ride with Erick, but...

I dropped off Erick at this shack that I have passed every morning and night since I moved to the mountains.  I never knew it was a mechanic's shop.  The only thing I really noticed about the place is that they don't hang their laundry to dry.  They have a big yard and always lay laundry flat on the ground.  After Erick and the spare tire were dropped off there I headed for the church with the boys from La Tigra.  They were supposed to sing and worried they would be too late to perform.

As I was driving I got a call from Marlin.  The one rule that is actually followed in Honduras is about talking on the phone while driving.  Fortunately I was in a perfect place to pull off the road and talk.  Unfortunately it was really loud there.  We rolled up our windows, but I ended up completely misunderstanding what she told me.

I thought Marlin said she was given the medicine to start her labor yesterday, but she still didn't have the baby.  In reality, that was true.  But she did give birth, she just didn't have the baby in her arms.

After picking up Erick he directed me back to where he left the car.  He had walked so far!  Danny was waiting with the car.  At this point it had been almost 3 hours since they first got the flat.  Poor Danny.  We got the tire changed quickly.  There was literally no tread on the tire they took off the car and no tread on the tire they put on the car.  Not the slightest indentation.

As we started to leave we found that his battery was dead.  We didn't have any jumper cables so Erick did something I have never seen before.  He started my car, took the battery out, put it into his car, rolled his car down the hill and popped the clutch to start it, then gave me my battery back.  I was a little concerned, but my car has been fine since, so I guess it served us well.

A really kind man came over in the middle of all of that to ask if we needed help.  I think the sight of a North American female with her hood up caused him concern.  He said he lived right on the corner and had his own car.  He told us that since he has a car, he also has tools to fix it if we needed them.  He seemed pretty proud of that.  The people in La Tigra usually walk wherever they go.  They are accustomed to walking long distances.  The streets were full of people walking.  I joked with Erick that they were probably thinking, "Thank God I don't have a car to cause me problems like that," as they walked by us.

That neighbor man stuck around until we were all set.  He said if we ever need help we can always stop at his house.  In a country where I am never allowed to speak to strangers it is really nice to meet people like that.  I like the environment of the country folk in La Tigra.

After I got home I cooked up some pasta with veggies and called my Mom to see if she might understand why Marlin would have been in labor yesterday but not have her baby.  When my Mom and her friend who is a nurse both thought that was very strange I decided to call Marlin again and talk to her where I could hear better.

Marlin said she was feeling well but still having some contractions.  She said that she was resting.  Then she explained that she was given the medicine at 10 a.m. yesterday.  The contractions were strong at noon.  She had the baby at 2 p.m.  Doctors told her the baby was healthy but took her for exams, since Marlin has Lupus.  Marlin has not seen her baby since.

I called my Mom back and told her that I had the story confused.  Mom's friend who is the nurse asked why the hospital did not have the baby bonding with Marlin in these first important hours.  I said I don't think the hospital is worried about bonding.  I am more concerned with if the baby is eating!  Mom and her friend were shocked to hear you have to bring your own diapers and your own baby formula to the hospital.  Sadly, those things don't surprise me any more.

I called my landlord to let her know that Marlin had her baby.  She was very concerned.  She asked for all of Marlin's information and called Dr. Gustavo.  He is currently searching for Marlin's baby.  Marlin is full of faith and peace.  I am trying to follow her lead.

I am grateful that my beautiful friend is healthy and well, both physically and mentally.  We know the baby is in God's hands.  But we need to know that the baby is in good human hands too.  I sent out a prayer request tonight.  I hope we will have answers soon!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

We used to start up cars with bad batteries like that (roll down the hill and pop the clutch). Hard to do with an automatic. :o) Will pray for Marlin and her baby.

Mary Lynn said...

That's how they always start this car. It has over 500,000 miles! (It's a Toyota pick up.) They left the headlights on when they got the flat tire. The battery was so dead this time they needed to borrow my battery and THEN pop the clutch cause the starter doesn't work. It is quite fun to travel with them. They know every hill in the city because they can only park the car on hills!
Thanks for the prayer for Marlin and her baby. I'll let you know when that is all settled.