Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Free Invitation

I'm super excited!

Monday we had an all day training at the university by a college professor about gender equality. It was very interesting and educational. I enjoyed it a lot.

Afterward I left in the same car with my boss. She asked if I am going to the retreat on Thursday and Friday. I told her it's really not in my budget right now. Everyone on the payroll for our whole organization was invited for free. Volunteers and interns are welcome, but have to cover their own costs.

I am saving every penny for a new car, so I thought it best to stay home. But the more I considered the idea, the more I realized I should go. As an outsider (one of the only North Americans) it is important that I do things like this to assimilate myself with everyone else. I already have the fact that I am a foreigner which sets me apart, so the more I can bond with my coworkers and give them a chance to get to know me, the better.

People within Impacto Juvenil know me, but I have been seeing the others from the association at our Monday morning devotional for over a year and I still don't know most of their names. Even the drivers are not sure how I fit in.  The other people with Impacto serve in only one community and I serve in several places so that is odd to them.

Just now my boss sent me a message saying that I can go to the retreat for only the cost of the tee shirt! We are leaving early (6:30 a.m.) Thursday morning and coming back Friday night. We were told to wear exercise clothes as we will be hanging out and playing games. It will be interesting to see how many of the 150 people actually go. I am super excited to be included. My boss knows I am saving for a newer car. It feels really nice that she went out of her way to help me be able to go.

Today I went to see a Honduran movie with Ana and her family. Every Tuesday movies are half price, and it so happens that Ana has Tuesdays off, so we get together on Tuesdays. Jired, her son, had the opportunity to go play soccer today, but he chose to come with us instead. I think that is super cool. Most 17 year old kids would rather hang out with their friends than their family, but Jired is different. He always puts his family first.

To be honest, I really didn't like the movie. It just wasn't my type of humor. But they all did and I understand why. The actors are people they know from tv or politics and it's all filmed in places within the city. Overall it had a good message, although it was a little foolish in the delivery. What I enjoyed most was watching all of them have so much fun.

We have cut popcorn and soda out of the budget. There was not one complaint, so Ana must have explained it to them clearly. We did each get a 50 cent ice cream cone on the way home. Turns out Isa doesn't like ice cream, so she only ate the cone. And Ana said she can figure out a way to use all of the manna packets I had, so I'm no longer carrying those around in my car.

I just remembered Erika called while I was in the movie! I forgot to call her back. I'll have to do that tomorrow. I'm so glad she is back in the habit of calling again. And she even remembers that Tuesday is my free day. That makes me smile. I bet baby Gabriela is getting big! Marjory is old enough to chat right along on the phone now, although I only understand parts of what she says. I look forward to seeing them all one day soon.

Still playing my violin. I've gotten into more challenging stuff and it's not quite as fun as it was, but I know if I work at it I will see the payoff in my playing on Saturday mornings at the dance ministry. I'm glad I have that commitment to push me through the tougher stuff.

No comments: