Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Quick Catch Up

Lots of good stuff going on. So much that I have no time to write. I'm working seven days each week and when I get home at night I'm editing photos and writing articles until 10 pm.

On Monday the full-time staff and I went to a local water park for a work retreat. Sometimes I feel a little guilty when I'm included in things like that because the other volunteers and even the part time employees can't go. But they recognize that I work as much as the full time employees and this is one way they can compensate me. I make sure they know that I appreciate it!

In the morning we did team building stuff. Then we swam all afternoon. It was a huge, beautiful place and we had it all to ourselves! Nobody else was there. It rained for a while, but that didn't dampen anyone's spirits. We had a great time!

I was the only person who wore a bathing suit to swim. The other ladies all wore tight shorts. How uncomfortable. But they said they would be more uncomfortable showing their legs. Cultural differences.



I taught three of my coworkers to swim. They were so excited and proud of themselves! The one I call "Star" in this blog didn't want to get out of the pool when it was time to leave. Hahaha! She's usually big for following rules but everyone else was changing their clothes and there is Star, floating on her back with a big smile on her face.

The swimming class for the kids is going well. My boss went last week to observe. She left "enchanted", she said, with what I am doing. She finally understands that I really need another instructor to help out.

Some of the kids are already swimming freestyle and some still haven't mastered the flutter kick. If I help the slower kids, then the more advanced kids are bored. But if I work at the advanced kids' pace, the others are totally lost. With such a large (19 kids) and diverse group, we would all be better off with at least one more instructor.

Out of 8 weeks of class, the lady who was supposed to be in charge has only been there 1 & 1/2 times. I'm not counting on her help at all at this point. But the kids are learning, they are safe, and they are having a great time. That is what's important!

They are finally comfortable in their bathing suits too. That was probably the biggest challenge of all. And they are wearing their swim caps. I need to come up with money to buy them goggles. I told them I couldn't look into googles until they can use their swim caps correctly and they've fulfilled their end of the deal. This pool hurts my eyes more than any other pool I've ever set foot in. It doesn't seem to have too much chlorine because I don't smell chlorine, but for some reason it burns your eyes to the point that you absolutely cannot open them without goggles. I'd like to figure out how to fix the ph of the water because the bottom of the pool is slippery with some sort of slime. But in the meantime, the kids need goggles.

They made me super proud when my boss visited. They counted out loud for our warm up exercises, they waited to get into the water until they had permission, they only went into the areas we are allowed to use, and they all participated for the whole class. I was extra grateful for their good behavior this week!









Last week was the start of construction projects in the communities. On Monday my community began the first round of projects. Everyone was a little cautious because the area where we started has had a lot of deaths lately. Here, if more than one person dies, it is called a "massacre", which in English sounds very dramatic. But Hondurans tend to be dramatic. Anyway, there have been several massacres lately right where we were building three water pilas and one latrine.

I was supposed to get photos of before and after. I knew not to bring my camera, because that would make me a mark in the future if people think I walk around with a camera. I brought my cell phone and everyone was taking pictures, so I didn't stand out anymore than usual. But they wouldn't even let me go to two of the four houses because it was too "ugly" (dangerous). My boss is going to be disappointed, but all of the families and coworkers agreed. My coworkers didn't go down there either. In fact they had a fit that I went to two of the four houses. But I felt safe surrounded by all of the workers.

This is one of the girls in the club.
She was wearing flip flops, so she kicked them off
to haul heavy bags of cement.
Her house is far and down a steep path.

This part is paved, but the rest is not

Heading down the path to two of the homes

It's steep and rocky!

The whole community got involved


Enough procrastinating. Time to get to work on the manual for the group for incest survivors. Soon I'll be hopping on a plane bound for the US for three months. I don't want to go with so many cool things going on here. But I'm making the most of every minute in the meantime and there's a lot to look forward to when I come back.

No comments: