Friday, May 12, 2017

The Latest

Today is supposed to be my day off, but I've been sitting at my computer all day working on an interview for work. Tomorrow transportation is picking me up at 7:30 a.m. for a special campaign, so I'll have a busy day tomorrow too!

Here are some of the interviews I've done so far:


This is *Eddie. Four days a week Eddie wakes at 4 a.m. He dresses in the dark and heads out before sunrise. He walks down a steep dirt path below his house, passes through the valley floor, and climbs up another mountain to a neighboring community. There Eddie, age 15, has established a business.

It all started five years ago when Eddie was only ten. "I was walking through (the wealthier community), looking for ways to work, and the people talked to me." He noticed they threw away things which could be recycled for money.

"First one lady agreed to set aside her plastic soda bottles. Now many people save their recyclables for me. Some days it's a lot to carry. Especially when they give me car batteries. Those are heavy," Eddie said. "But I always manage."

The people of the neighborhood have come to know and look out for him. "There are two families who always ask how I'm doing," he said. "They want to know that I am still studying."

About five hours later, Eddie climbs back down the mountain and up the other side to his home, carrying his bounty for the day. He stores his recyclables behind the house and prepares for school.

Through recycling, Eddie contributes approximately $10 each week to the household. The additional income is greatly appreciated and necessary.

Eddie is not sure what he career he'll pursue. In ninth grade, he still has time to decide. His family and his mentor at Impacto Juvenil agree that Eddie's entrepreneurial mindset and exceptional work ethic will bring him a successful future!

* Name changed for confidentiality








Since the day her bus broke down on the way home from school, 14 year old *Amy* (name changed for confidentiality) knew she wanted to become a mechanic.

"We were stranded in a dangerous area. I was scared," she recalls.

In that moment Amy received inspiration. "A man on a motorcycle stopped to help. He pulled out his tools and looked over the engine. He explained what was wrong and then he fixed it!"

"My friends think I should choose a career for women. They tell me the job of a mechanic is too masculine. Some say that I am bisexual. But I don't pay attention to them because I want to be a mechanic. I will apply myself and I'll do it."

Amy, who is raised solely by her grandfather since the age of three, receives encouragement at home as well. "My Papi (she calls her grandfather "Dad") says I shouldn't pay attention to those people. He knows I want to be a mechanic and he is very supportive."









This is *Oneida.

Oneida is the mother of five children who range in age from three months to 12 years old. Her oldest is a member of Impacto Juvenil.

Through Impacto Juvenil, Oneida was able to attend the Strong Families program.

"I learned the importance of communication," Oneida said. "My children confide in me now. We talk a lot more. I never realized the importance of communication. When I understand how my kids are feeling, I am more patient and more tolerant as a mother."

"Implementing what I learned in the Strong Families program has made my home a happier place."









Mike, surrounded by his three sisters and his mother (far left). His father was working out of town on this day.


For most people a haircut is not a matter of life and death. However, in some communities of Honduras men risk being beaten or killed for the way they wear their hair.

Fifteen year old *Mike, a member of Impacto Juvenil, recently faced this situation. His mother, *Ana, and her husband realized their son's hair was attracting attention from the wrong people.

“He just wants to look like the other boys his age,” Ana said. “I understand. I wish he could have a haircut he likes.”

Mike's father noticed his son's hairstyle was attracting attention from local gang members about a month ago. The gang in his neighborhood adopted this hairstyle (longer on top, shaved short on the sides) as their identifying feature. They want it to be unique to them.

“If he kept his hair like that, they will grab him. At that point he will either have to join the gang, or he'll be killed. These are the times in which we live,” said the boy's father.

In an effort to keep their son safe, they sent Mike to get a haircut. Twice. Both times he came back with his hair still dangerously long on top. His parents were frustrated.

“Mike's always been obedient. He's never challenged us like this before. It's the first time we've had to deal with this (misbehavior),” Ana said.

Ana and her husband are grateful for training they received through Impacto Juvenil's Strong Families program.

“In Strong Families we learned to work together and never to undermine one another as parents,” Ana said.

Both Ana and her husband accompanied their son for his third trip to the barbershop. Ana felt bad as her son began to cry. He told them he feels self conscious with shorter hair because he believes it makes his ears look too big.

“I think my son is handsome. It hurt to see him cry. I was ready to give in. But my husband stood up and reached for the barber's shears. He was going to shave Mike's head. I knew I had to support my husband.”

They talked to the barber about options that might please Mike, yet still keep him safe. Suddenly Mike became disrespectful, saying the adults didn't know what they were talking about.

“I was shocked and embarrassed. I've never seen Mike behave that way. He is always respectful.”

Mike's hair was cut, but nobody was happy. “My first instinct was to hit him when we got home,” Ana admitted. Instead she went outside and used relaxation techniques she learned in the Strong Families program until she was calm.

“I used to believe hitting was the best way to teach my kids. My husband doesn't believe in physical punishment. We used to get into arguments about it.”

“In Strong Families I learned that physical punishment is not effective or healthy. Now we punish according to the gravity of the behavior and try to reward our kids when they are good.”

Communication and stress management are also skills the family learned in Strong Families classes. She and her husband sat down with Mike. They explained they really didn't want to force Mike to cut his hair, but it was necessary for his well being. Mike was still angry.

The next week a gang member followed Mike and two friends home from school. When Mike told his mother, he was clearly frightened. “Imagine if he still had his hair,” she said. “He understands now why he needed his haircut.”

“Every day when they go to school I pray,” Ana said. “I pray until they get home safe.”



Mike and his mother on laundry day, washing clothes together. “I used to do everything myself. Through Strong Families classes I realized my kids can't learn if I do everything for them. So I taught Mike to wash his own clothes. It gives him a sense of independence and teaches him responsibility. I know most boys his age don't wash their own clothes, but for him it's empowering!”











*Lilly and her son *Alan are graduates of Impacto Juvenil's Strong Families program. Every six weeks they reunite with other graduates in their community to review skills they learned in previous classes and work on new techniques. Last week one topic they reviewed was positive communication.

“You are very special to me,” Alex tells his mother.

“Awwww. Thank you,” Lilly responds with a grin. “You are a wonderful son.”

According to Lilly, Alan is already a master of positive communication. “He makes me feel special every day. He loves to make me laugh.”



* All names changed for confidentiality



So, there's a little taste of what I've been working on lately. My boss is super pleased. They are various lengths to use as Facebook posts and in the newsletter for the organization where I serve. Some will be blurbs. Others full articles.

Plus I've got swimming lessons, photo coverage of every special event, group therapy in Las Minitas, and development of the new pilot program for incest survivors. All good stuff!

Now off to the gym for PT. My ankle's been aching, tingling and swollen since I got stuck in traffic for a half an hour on the way home from church Wednesday night. Then Thursday morning I was in another traffic jam for a half an hour on the way to the office. Working the clutch is still really tough. I'm hoping PT will help, but I could use some prayer. Tomorrow I have to take pictures of a protest march, which means walking a few miles on uneven terrain. I hope it holds up.

No comments: